The one I found was a little road worn. It had one dead key, another couple of keys that were sluggish, and the volume slider needs some help (it only goes to 1/4 volume or to 11). Even with the dead key it can still be controlled fully via MIDI – which is how I normally control these synths anyway. And, when I record, the volume is cranked to send the most signal through the lines. So, a couple pretty easy fixes which aren’t even a priority for me.
Parts of this machine are pretty worn so I might do some custom work to it. I normally avoid doing major cosmetic changes but anything I do to this thing will be an improvement at this point. Perhaps a total paint job – Bright Red! I’m not sure yet. I need to crack it and see how the guts look first.
She’s a tired old girl but she sounds good – and the aftertouch actually still works. (shock!)
An interesting thing for those with a JX-8P with dead keys – when I put this back together I caught the underside of the keyboard on my shirt or something. I didn’t notice right away but I bent a few of the T-shaped contacts inside with the other contacts.
When I reassembled the keyboard and tested it, all the keys from these bent contacts no longer worked. It also stopped all the keys up from this section. It was simple to pop the T contacts back out and put them back in shape.
Something to keep in mind if you have a chunk of keys which don’t work on a JX-8P.
Insert fantabuliousy specs..
Polyphony – 6 voices
Oscillators – 2 DCO’s per voice (12 oscillators)
Memory – 64 patches + External memory cartridges
Effects – Portamento
VCF – standard VCF
VCA – ADSR envelope
Arpeg/Seq – None
Keyboard – 61 note keyboard with velocity and aftertouch
Control – MIDI In/Out/thru
Date Produced – 1985